Love Protects in a Selfish World
In a world that puts self first, God’s people put the interests of others ahead of their own. In a world where many seek to take advantage through dishonesty, God’s people are honest even when it hurts. In a world that seeks to divide, God’s people are breaking down boundaries with love. When we live this way, we push back against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places and upon the earth.
I. Love Protects the Family.
II. Love Protects the Economy.
III. Love Protects the Covenant Community.
Sermon Discussion Questions:
1. The laws around levirate marriage were to protect and provide for the deceased man’s family. How was selfishness a threat to that provision? How does selfishness threaten families today?
2. Read 1 Timothy 5:8-16. What are the implications of this passage for us as families today?
3. For those who are or have been in the marketplace, where do you see selfishness as a threat to the economy? Where have you been tempted to be dishonest? How would honesty in the workplace transform your industry?
4. Read Colossians 3:22-24. If you were living this, what would change about the way you work?
5. How is love the ultimate act of rebellion in a selfish world? How does Jesus show us this and how do we benefit from it?