The Things that are Revealed
God has revealed to his people everything they needed to know for life in the land through this book of Deuteronomy. But the revelation itself is not enough to benefit from it. And so, in this chapter Moses brings together all of the main threads of Deuteronomy in order to impress upon them the importance of taking heed to the message that is revealed. How can they be sure to benefit from the things that are revealed? And likewise, how can we?
I. Remember God’s Grace in Establishing his Covenant.
II. Embrace Your Place in God’s Covenant.
III. Beware Betraying the God of the Covenant.
IV. Live by What is Revealed.
Sermon Discussion Questions:
1. Have you ever been given a helpful piece of information that you did not act on and regretted it later? (ie. medical advice, stock tip, etc.)
2. How is it that someone can hear the message of what God has done, and yet not really hear it? How does this shed light on this phrase Jesus uses repeatedly: “He who has ears to hear, let him hear” (e.g., Mark 4:9)? What is the solution not hearing, seeing, or understanding?
3. What are some of the idols that we are most inclined to go after today? Where do you see people inclined to follow the stubbornness of their own heart rather than God’s Word?
4. Why is it so dangerous to reject God’s word and do what you want on the assumption that you can just ask forgiveness later? Read Hebrews 6:1-12. What do you think is to be the intended effect of this passage on true Christians?
5. Many people get caught up on trying to figure out God’s will for their lives in areas God has not revealed, and it tends to produce anxiety. How is Deuteronomy 29:29 freeing?