God has made it clear throughout the book of Deuteronomy that if his people break his covenant and disobey his commandments, they are going to find themselves cast out of the land and into the far country. Eventually that would happen. But judgment is not God’s final word to his people. This passage reminds us that no matter how far we have drifted or run from God’s good plan, the option to choose life is still before us.
I. The Condition of Life.
II. The Promise of Life.
III. The Objections to Life.
IV. The Choice of Life.
Sermon Discussion Questions:
1. Have you ever been in the “far country?” What was that like? Do you know anyone in the “far country” now?
2. What are the elements of repentance as they are portrayed in Deuteronomy 30:1-2? Why can we not go on loving God and loving our sin?
3. How is God’s law a blessing to those who have it? Was it ever intended to be a means by which God’s people could be righteous before God? Why or why not?
4. Are the choice of life and death still on the table for us today? How would you explain this to someone who is not a Christian?
5. Pray and consider who God would have you share the message of life with today.